A friend was looking to reduce dining/groceries expenses. We had an impromptu discussion with a group of friends & here are some of the things we came up with. Thanks E, HL & all who gave suggestions 🙂
- Set budget in each separate category (e.g. dining out, groceries)
- Create shopping list; avoid impulse purchases
- Reduce junk food/unhealthy foods
- Look for value (not cheap!) alternatives
- Use a calculator (re: phone) to calculate the price per unit
- Mix dining at different price level places
- Couples can share drinks/bring own water out
- If cooking, difficult & expensive to cook for 1 or 2 – organise & host get together w a few friends rotating
- Consider credit card (up to equivalent 7.5% discount w AmEx)
- Bread/oatmeal for breakfast (healthier too!)
- Coupon sites try out new eating places; discount/privilege cards for fav frequents
- If you are into coffee, invest in a coffee machine & get beans as it is much cheaper per cup outside or even 3-in-1s
What other suggestions do you have for dining & groceries shopping?
Follow MyPF.my to get the latest Personal Finances updates and insights!
Register for a free MyPF membership today & enjoy member benefits!