EPF Increases Minimum Basic Savings to RM228k at age 55 & EPF-MIS withdrawal to 30% from Jan 1, 2017. The last time the Minimum Basic Savings was increased was in 2014 January 1. (Updated Oct 5, 2016)
The minimum target savings is the least EPF savings member should have — which is also referred to as the basic savings quantum — when they reach the age of 55.
The basic savings refers to the amount that is considered sufficient to support members’ basic retirement needs for 20 years, from age 55 to 75, aligned with the Malaysian life expectancy.
The new quantum is benchmarked against the minimum pension for public sector employees, which has been raised from RM820 to RM950 per month, from age 55 to 75,” – EPF
Min Basic Savings (2014 Jan 1 – 2016 Dec 31)
Min Basic Savings (2017 Jan 1 onwards)
EPF Members Investment Scheme (EPF-MIS)
- Withdrawn from EPF Members’ Account 1
- Only for EPF approved investment fund
- At least 3 months from last EPF-MIS investment date
- Funds returned automatically into your EPF Account 1 if sold
- Min investment amount of RM1,000
- Effective Jan 1, 2017: increased to max 30% of amount in excess of Basic Savings
- [Formula: Account 1 Total – Basic Savings * 30%]
- Age: 35
- Account 1 Total: RM100,000
- Max EPF-MIS withdrawal: RM100,000 – RM50,000 * 30% = RM15,000
- Higher min EPF basic savings amount on reaching retirement (extra 15.85%)
- Larger amount can be withdrawn for EPF-MIS investment as although Basic Savings amount increased, % allowed to be withdrawn increased by 10% to 30%
EPF Withdrawal for First Time Buyers
- Govt is looking to raise AC II withdrawal from 30% to 40%
Follow MyPF.my to get the latest Personal Finances updates and insights!
Register for a free MyPF membership today & enjoy member benefits!