Recently there have been rumors circulating (again!) that EPF nominations have gone missing from members’ files. How true are these stories and what steps do you need to take as an EPF member?
The Employee Provident Fund (EPF), or also known as Kumpulan Wang Simpanan Pekerja (KWSP), provides retirement benefits for members through management of their savings in an efficient and reliable manner. The institution has periodically fallen “victim” to the rumors of lost nominations since as early as 2007. These stories include alleged “real stories” of EPF members who had officially added nominees only to have their details mysteriously disappear with no notice. The backlash from these stories include unfounded accusations by the public that EPF is careless with member information. Some members of the public, upon hearing these stories, even conclude that EPF is conspiring to cheat innocent members upon death of their hard-earned money.
Official Statement from EPF (July 2, 2012)
So, what does EPF have to say about these allegations?
EPF Nominations are Intact and Secure
The above is a scam. We would like to affirm that the chain email contains untruthful accusations and that there have been no cases of lost or missing nomination details.
For the record, nomination details are kept in physical nomination forms (KWSP 4), which are safely stored at a central location in the Klang Valley. These can only be accessed by manually retrieving the nomination forms.
We would like to assure members that even with the migration of new system on 2 January 2007, all nomination forms, regardless of whether received before or after 2 January 2007, are scanned and keyed into the new system. In addition, all original nomination forms are physically stored in a secure manner.
Furthermore, before approving a Death Withdrawal application, the EPF will always refer to the original copy of the nomination form to confirm the details of the beneficiary.
Please help us set the facts straight and stop the spreading of this fallacious email regarding missing nomination details by circulating this information to your cyber community.
Corporate Affairs Department
Employees Provident Fund
In other words, EPF is reassuring us that EPF nominations are intact and secure.
However, not everybody is so certain that EPF nominations are updated.
“But… I know of friends who have had their nominee information gone missing!” says market auntie, or the young chap in your office.
As is often the case, the truth may lie somewhere in between. While we hope that everything gets properly sorted out, we need to start taking our own action too.
What Can and Should I Do as an EPF Member?
- First things first, as an EPF member, do check your nominations by either of these two methods:
- Ensure accuracy of nomination details. There have been cases where the listed NRIC number or relationship status has become inaccurate.
- If necessary, add or update nomination details over the counter at any EPF branch.
- You will need to bring your own witness as EPF officers are no longer standing in as your witness for your nomination
- (Optional) Request for your nominees’ details to be included on your EPF statements. This can be done over the counter at any EPF branch.
- Share these steps with your friends and family!
Share and discuss on Missing EPF Nominations.
Latest posts by MyPF
- MyPF Launching 2 New Online Shows - May 16, 2019
- Women in Finance - May 5, 2019
- What do Malaysians Ask About Financial Planning According to Google - April 30, 2019