The year 2016 in review for my self growth, personal finances, and MyPF.my. Also, a peek ahead into 2017 for investments and what’s up ahead.
My Personal Mission Statement: I will help people grow
With regard to this, I am reflecting on how I have made a difference in my own life & those around me.
- Planning: My better half and I achieved another goal we set out this year with she pursuing her Masters studies in the US. We have also done our best to live every day abundantly, and (in a non-morbid way) as if every day were our last. An area to improve on would be building consistency in daily time scheduling and setting priorities.
- Advising: My client list has grown to over 70 clients this year. Most existing clients were happy as well and have/indicated interest to switching to our new (affordable) fee-based model (launched in 2016 Q4) focusing on putting clients’ needs first. I will be focusing on growing my new fee-based clients to a cap of 100 clients to ensure that I can focus on each individual/couple’s needs.
- Writing: I wrote over a hundred articles this year, with most of the articles in 2H 2016 when we focused on and relaunched the MyPF.my website. (A big thank you to our editors Vivien & Andrea!)
- Speaking: I have had more public speaking engagements overall, from speaking on personal finances, sharing Sunday message at church for the 1st time, and even emceeing a few close friends’ weddings.
- Health: My health has improved further this year. It is indeed a blessing for my other half and I to be able to spend time almost daily exercising and staying healthy. (A RM600 lifetime membership including gym facilities was a good value health investment this year, although I am happy working out from home/outdoors)
Overall, I believe I have had a positive impact on those around me through various circles including family, clients, MyPF.my, church/BSF/missions. There is definitely room for improvement in all these areas and I continue to wake up daily every morning excited and energized!
simplifying Personal Finances in Malaysia
MyPF.my was originally launched in June 2014 to share information on Personal Finances. It was only this year in 2016 that we revamped the website with new direction, content, and established social media presence via facebook, Twitter, and Google+. (Follow us for latest updates!).
We also established our MyPF web team with 1 web admin, 2 editors, and 4 writers bringing you better Personal Finances content from different perspectives. We also started growing our financial planners with Sha, Jeff, Kok Hao, and Henry joining the team.
- Website: Above 80,000 views from above 60,000 visitors (2015: 30,000)
- facebook: Above 320 follows (2015: 97)
- Premier web content access: 220 accounts
- MyPF.my newsletter: 186 subscribers
In 2017, MyPF will be looking to further grow in these areas:
- financial planners (existing): to equip advisors as they grow client base by 25-100 clients each.
- financial planners (new): for 5 new folks with a passion in Personal Finances to join us.
- MyPF web team: to generate great content regularly including Premier web content.
Overall, I will be looking to grow together with the entire MyPF team at a comfortable yet rewarding pace. I firmly believe in listening, sharing, and helping others to grow. Yet each person is ultimately responsible for his or her own success in his or her own timing.
Personal Finances and Investing
Reviewing my personal finances highlights and investment performance.
- Net Worth Goal: 180%
Income & Expenses Statement
- Savings: 10%
- Insurance: 5%
- Investment: 95% (including re-investments)
- Charity/Gifts: 5%
- Spending: 34%
- Passive Income: 38% of expenses
- Emergency Savings: 6 months (maintained)
- Investments Allocation:
- Property: 55%
- Shares: 36%
- Secure Investments: 8.5%
- Other Significant Expense Items
- Travel: US, China, Cambodia
- Auto: Purchase of pre-loved Japanese make vehicle for cash
Risk Management: 5 years income replacement
- 27% ahead of retirement goal by age
- Retirement goal: 2.5m (I live and intend to keep a simple lifestyle :))
Based on annual compounding Internal Rate of Return (IRR) over all years
- Fixed Deposits: 3.54%
- Endowments: 3.25%
- Shares (Malaysia): 22.78%
- Shares (US): 19.54%
- Unit Trust: 6.88%
- Property: 27.81% (Cash on Cash returns)
Overall, I have been continuing in (what I expect to be) a lifelong journey learning together with clients, friends, and mentors in different areas, which I am very grateful for. In Q4 2016, I have started looking into and preparing towards entering shorter term trading in the US markets with a greater emphasis and learning on technical analysis.
2017 Outlook & Planning
Note: Outlook is based on my personal sentiments at time of writing. And like all opinions, should be taken with a (big) pinch of salt.
- Shares (MY): Expect mixed bursa performance next year with certain shares outperforming but generally bearish outlook.
- Shares (US): Expect overall bullish positive US markets performance for 2017.
- Properties (MY): Possible opportunities for investment properties at a property market cycle low point.
- New Investments
- Likely majority in US shares targeting 14 to 15%+ IRR
- Possibility a residential/commercial group property investment opportunity if positive yield 3 to 6%+ and comparable cash-on-cash returns 10 to 15%+
- Rest of funds to place into home loan capital repayments to reduce mortgage payments as increasingly weighted to be debt free
Malaysian Shares Watchlist
Note: As of December 2016 shares on watchlist for 2017. Not a recommendation to buy/sell any shares.
|% Change from 52 Week Low|
|% Change from 52 Week High|
US Shares Watchlist
Note: As of December 2016 on watchlist for 2017. Not a recommendation to buy/sell any shares.
[tv-chart symbol=”GOOG” autosize=”1″]
[tv-chart symbol=”WDC” autosize=”1″]
[tv-chart symbol=”SBUX” autosize=”1″]
[tv-chart symbol=”BRK-B” autosize=”1″]
[tv-chart symbol=”BABA” autosize=”1″]