Everything costs more these days from your “cham peng” to your “java chip frappe”. What can you do the earn extra income? Here are 5 ideas for extra income that are totally legit and is not a waste of your time.
- How it works: Filling up surveys online can generate extra income. You get sent survey links once a while to fill up and you receive points depending on the survey.
- Complexity: Easy
- Time: 5 mins on average per survey
- Value: An average survey of 5 mins gives you 150 points (~RM2.25) which works out to around RM27 per hour. The amout isn’t high but don’t forget your surveys can be done during otherwise wasted time (e.g. you are in a queue)
- Payout: Cash (via PayPal in SGD), AirAsia points, or making a donation to UNICEF
- Signup link: YouGov
Note: I get 200 points for signups using the above link
- How it works: Host guests in your home (or even an experience!).
- Complexity: Medium
- Time: It’s pretty quick and easy to setup your initial AirBnB hosting profile.
- Earnings: You earn depending on your location, guests you can accommodate, property and number of rooms. A room on average earns you RM300-800 while an entire place RM1,200-2,000 for a week.
- Tips: Check with your local govt/council/property management to ensure you are compliant with all required rules and regulations.
- Signup Link: AirBnB
Note: You get travel credit and I get a small referral bonus
- How it works: If you have a gift for writing, there is work to be found with decent payouts.
- Complexity: Medium
- Requirements: You need a property which you can let out in it’s entirety or part of.
- Time: Depends on topic, complexity and requirements. May take as short as half a day (if you’re a pro) to a week.
- Earnings: RM100 – RM1,000 per article (Projects will pay higher overall but lesser if counting pay per word)
- Freelance writing: upwork.com or write for mypf
- How it works: Programming projects come in all sorts of requests and sizes from vanilla website designs to AI projects.
- Complexity: High
- Time: X days depending on project complexity.
- Earnings: RM500 – RM5,000 per project (With some opportunities paying for hourly, daily or monthly basis as well).
- Tips: Find programming work overseas (e.g. US, UK) which pays out even higher due to currency conversion.
- Freelance programming work: freelancer.com
- How it works: Earn money from markets (stocks/commodities/forex/futures/etc) with short-term trading.
- Complexity: Very high
- Time: 1 hour daily; A few years to become good at it.
- Monetary Investment: $5,000 – $10,000 at minimum to get started.
- Learning Investment: RM5,000 – RM8,000 to learn on short-term trading strategies from professional trading experts.
- Earnings: -X% (losses) to +100% gains per annum.
- Tips: A larger time commitment and not for everyone depending on your emotional makeup and psychology. The potential returns are significant if you can make it.
- Signup for a trusted global trading account (members)
- Read an event review of a trading educational workshop (members)
- MyPF Referral Rewards each successful MyPF Premier referral.
- Nielsen pays you to install an app on your smartphone/tablet/pay to track your internet usage patterns (but is unfortunately not available for those in Malaysia)
- Uber or Grab ride sharing driving for additional income or to get a vehicle for use.
- Shopback to get cashback for spending or referrals
Have you tried out these ideas for extra income? Do you have other tips or suggestions? Just please don’t suggest money games.
Stev's mission is to help people grow, especially financially. All this so we can have the freedom of choice - to focus on who and what truly matters in your life.
Stev enjoys spending quality time with his better half, serving, reading, writing, and drinking (usually just) two cuppas kopi daily.