What are some of the
craziest best money-saving tips that people use?!
Saving money is an important part of life as we aim to grow our money throughout the years and have enough to spend on passions, like traveling, while also being able to comfortably retire.
Occasionally, some people do take things to extremes. For example, hoarders who do everything and anything to save every little penny, even at the cost of their own comfort and hygiene.
The following list might surprise some of you (unless you already do some of the things on this list). You might think we are kidding but these are real things done by real people.
7 Craziest Things People Do to Save Money
Note: We are not seriously suggesting you try (any) of these…
- Peeing in a bottle and emptying it out in the garden or compost to save money on fertilizer.
- Digging through trash at cinema/fast-food outlets to find used drink/popcorn containers for free/cheap refills.
- DIY two-ply toilet paper into single-ply sheets to save on usage (or worse… using a single sheet).
For those sharing living space, we suggest implementing a BYOTP (Buy Your Own Toilet Paper) policy.
- Using materials found in the trash as your mattress, such as thrown away yoga mats.
- Rinsing out and hanging up used paper towels to dry, and then reusing them.
- Skipping showers and/or washing hair once in a long, long while just to save on your water bill and toiletries.
- Stealing condiments including ketchup, chilli sauce, salt, and pepper from your local fast food joint.
You’re the reason KFC no longer has bottled ketchup/Thai/chili sauce.
We encourage saving money and in fact, there is an ongoing #30DaysBudgetHero Challenge to survive on RM700 for a month in Kuala Lumpur. Naysayers may think this is not possible (impossibru!) taking into consideration the higher cost of living in the city, but he has found the ways to save money wherever and whenever possible!
7 Best Ways to Save Money
Note: Less crazy, but just as or even more effective!
- Order plain drinking water when you dine-out, resist the urge to spend on a more expensive drink.
- Take advantage of the 50% discount on LRT rides when you travel from 6am-7am.
- If possible, walk, cycle, or skate. Avoid driving/Grab-ing/Uber-ing for short-distances.
- Do groceries and prepare your own meals. You will save a lot compared to eating out. Consider meal prepping and keeping in the fridge to save both time and money.
- Be selective about your weekend activities. Just because you’re on a budget doesn’t mean you can’t have any fun. You just need to discover free/low-cost weekend activities like hiking, game nights at home, and pot lucks.
- Take advantage of promotions, for e.g. cheaper movie tickets on particular days, or use your credit cards to receive exclusive discounts when you shop or dine-out.
- Invest in yourself by getting your very own Personal Finances Advisor who can help you to improve your budget and realize long-term savings.
Saving money is difficult, especially at the start, until you realize how awesome it is that you have saved so much!
The will you have, a way you will find.
Share and discuss on the craziest things you have done to save money!