Malaysians have a whopping RM5.6b is in unclaimed moneys at the end of last year and is currently sitting in trust in the AG (Accountant-General’s) Department. Do you have unclaimed moneys? Claim it back!
What are Unclaimed Moneys?
1. Money Unpaid One Year
Moneys which are legally payable to the owner but have remained unpaid for a period of not less than one year.
- Salaries, wages, bonuses, commissions, and other payments due to employees
- Dividends/profits declared for distributions
- Insurance claims which have been approved for payment
- Bank draft, cashier’s order, and other documents of similar nature which validity period have lapsed
- Fixed deposits (without automatic renewal instructions) which have matured
- Tender deposits for which the intended purpose has been fulfilled
- Sundry creditors or sundry debtors with credit balance
2. Money Idle 7 Years
Moneys standing to the credit of an account that has not been operated in whatever manner by the owner for a period of not less than seven years.
- Saving account
- Current account
- Fixed deposit (even those with automatic renewal instructions!)
3. Moneys Dormant Trade Account 2 Years
Moneys to the credit of a trade account that has remained dormant for a period of not less than two years.
- Trade creditors account
- Trade debtors account with credit balance
Why are there Unclaimed Moneys?
Some key factors that cause such moneys turned over to the Registrar of Unclaimed Moneys are:
- Change of address without notifying business contacts
- Forgetting small deposits of money in bank
- Owner dies and legal heirs are unaware of the moneys
- Leaving an account with low balance instead of closing it
- Bank mergers resulting in name changes and branch closings and owner is unsure of which bank holds an account to which he or she has entitlement
How to Claim Unclaimed Moneys
Submit completed Borang Permohonan Bayaran Balik WTD [ UMA-7 ]. (pdf download)
- Malaysians: photocopy of the identity card of the claimant
- Copy of first page of bankbook or bank statement (for refund bank in)
- Original document showing ownership of the sum of money to be claimed (e.g. Bank book/FD certificate/statement)
- Non-Malaysians: photocopy of passport of the claimant (showing passport number, country of issue, name, photograph and validity)
Additional Supporting Documents for Deceased/New Legal Owner:
At least one of the following:
- Letter of Administration
- Grant of Probate
- Power of Attorney
- Forms E/F under the Small Estates (Distributions) Act 1955
- Court Order
Additional Supporting Documents for Companies:
- Business registration document
- Affix company stamp/seal
- Authorization letter given by company to individual making the claim on behalf
- Details of bank account number and address for refund cheque to be issued
Unclaimed Moneys Process
Submit application for refund of unclaimed moneys to Registrar of Unclaimed Moneys in person or by post.
- Deadline to Make Claims: none
- Processing Charges: none
- Refund Mode: cheque or bank account
- Refund Payment Period: within six (6) weeks
Jabatan Akautan Negara Malaysia (JANM)
- Mon-Fri: 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Fri: Closed 12:15pm – 2:40pm
- Closed: Weekends and public holidays
Electronic Government Unclaimed Money Information System for online access.
Level 1-8, Ministry of Finance Complex
No. 1, Persiaran Perdana,
Tel : 03 – 8882 1000
Fax : 03 – 8882 1042
Level 3, Bangunan Persekutuan,
Persiaran Jubli Emas,
01000 Kangar, Perlis.
Tel : 04-976 2766
Fax : 04-976 2668
Level G & 4, Zone C,
Wisma Persekutuan Anak Bukit,
06550 Anak Bukit, Alor Setar,
Tel : 04-700 1000
Fax : 04-700 1011/1068
Level 42, KOMTAR,
10000 Pulau Pinang
Tel : 04-2555 500/501/502/503/504/505/506/507
Fax : 04-2555 577
Level 5 – 9, Wisma Maju UMNO,
Jalan Sultan Idris Shah,
30990 Ipoh Perak.
Tel: 05 – 254 7304 / 254 7305
Fax: 05 – 241 1343
Bangunan Affin Bank,
Lot Presint 3.4, Persiaran Perbandaran
Seksyen 14, 40000 Shah Alam
Tel : 03-55205200
Fax : 03-55105049
Level 10, Wisma Persekutuan,
Jalan Dato´ Abdul Kadir,
70990 Seremban, Negeri Sembilan
Tel : 06-768 6800
Fax : 06-761 9027
ACCOUNTANT GENERAL’S DEPARTMENT OF MALAYSIA, STATE OF MELAKA
Level 5, Menara Persekutuan,
Jalan Persekutuan, Ayer Keroh,
Tel : 06-289 5000
Fax : 06-234 5201
Level 8 & 11, Lot 20485,
Menara Tabung Haji, Jalan Ayer Molek,
80720 Johor Bahru.
Tel : 07-224 9244
Fax : 07-223 9322
Level 4 & 5, Bangunan BSN,
25000 Kuantan, Pahang.
Tel : 09-565 5802
Fax : 09-516 4931
Level 11, Wisma Persekutuan,
Jalan Sultan Ismail,
20594 Kuala Terengganu,
Tel : 09-627 8203
Fax : 09-622 213
Blok A Tingkat 1 & 2, Bangunan Kerajaan Perseketuan Jalan Doktor,
15990 Kota Bharu Kelantan.
Tel : 09- 746 0200
Fax : 09-747 5484
Ground Floor, 6 & 7, Wisma Perindustrian Jalan Istiadat,
Likas Beg Berkunci No. 2053
88594 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
Tel : 088-8324 888 / 088-324 801
Fax : 088-210 828
Bangunan Tun Datuk Patinggi Tuanku Haji Bujang,
Jalan Simpang Tiga,
93594 Kuching, Sarawak.
Tel : 082-254 144
Fax : 082-256 991
Full list of locations (anm.gov.my)
- Q: How can moneys in fixed deposit accounts having automatic renewal instructions become unclaimed moneys ?
Moneys in credit of a particular account that is not managed by the owners within the time period of not less than seven years is interpreted as Unclaimed Moneys. Issuance of a standing instruction by account holder is considered managed by its owner. However, action upon the said standing instruction by the financial institution is not considered managed by its owner.
- Q: How is the time period of seven years calculated ?
It starts from the date of the last standing instruction issued by the account holder.
- Q: Does MoF or JANM appointed agents or any individuals/companies help me claim my unclaimed moneys?
No. Ministry of Finance or the Registrar of Unclaimed Money has never appointed any individual / firm / company as an intermediary or agent for the refund of unclaimed moneys. Please be wary of scammers/thieves out to steal your money!
- Q: When will moneys in dispute between the parties having interest thereon be subjected to the Unclaimed Moneys Act 1965 ?
Moneys in the entity’s savings will only be Unclaimed Moneys if the moneys is payable under the law but is still not paid within the specified period of time according to the provisions of the Act. Moneys in dispute between the parties having interest in it will only become payable under the law when the said dispute is resolved. After that, the money that is still not paid to its owner after the period of one year of within a longer period as decided will be known as unclaimed moneys.
- Q: Who is authorized to sign form UMA-3 and UMA-4 ?
a) Company – Director, Company Secretary and any of its officers or party given the authority.
b) Corporation – Any of its officers or party given the authority.
c) Firm – Partner, manager or any of its officers or party given the authority
- What should be done by the entity if there are errors in the Unclaimed Moneys Register (UMA-3) after it is submitted to the Registrar ?
If the submission of the Unclaimed Moneys has been processed by the Registrar, the said entity can submit an application to reclaim the moneys wrongly reported or the total surrender. To rectify the errors made, the entity is required to submit a new UMA-3 register.
Share this article with friends who need to know about unclaimed moneys.
Follow MyPF.my to get the latest Personal Finances updates and insights!
Register for a free MyPF membership today & enjoy member benefits!