New online brokerage player Rakuten Trade held their Expresso Workshop and Market Outlook 2018.
- Date: 21st November 2017
- Time: 06:30 PM to 09:00 PM
- Venue: Marmalade Café, Bangsar Village 2, Kuala Lumpur
- Workshop where Rakuten resident experts Kenny Yee (Head of Research) and Vincent Lau (VP of Research) will share 2018 market outlook, beginners workshop to learn how to read a research report, Q&A session, and account opening stations.
Market Outlook 2018 Highlights
- Overall positive with Malaysian elections coming soon.
- Foreign funds selling recently but expect foreign funds preparing to reinvest into the market.
- Ringgit strengthening expect to test USDMYR 4 level.
- 2017: 5% Growth; 2018: 6% Growth (KLCI 1920).
- O&G sector expect positive and good for Malaysian economy.
As one of first few workshops organized by Rakuten Trade, it is a good effort (and props for providing dinner). Both Rakuten and Marmalade Café staff were friendly and helpful.
Section by section review:-
- Market outlook session was acceptable although slightly short.
- Q&A session had good crowd participation and questions were generally answered.
- Account opening stations were helpful although placement was slightly too close and contributed to overall noise level.
- Trading website demo mixed with mic volume too low and people busy talking making it hard to follow presentation.
- App demo was good with presenters showing familiarity with app and able to answer questions raised.
- (Apologies as we only caught the tail-end of the 1st reading market report section due to traffic and rain but crowd appeared attentive).
- Overall a decent event for engaging and sharing with public. *thumbs up*
Q: Research appears short-term focused. How about long-term investments (3-5 years)?
A: Only 2 research analysts (increasing to 3). Companies researched & reports are not only short-term but based on good company management and fundamentals.
Q: Facing Rakuten Trade on web browser hanging issue.
A: Daily maintenance ~4:30am. Sometimes due to bandwidth issues. Also not to open multiple tabs. Will continue improving.
Q: Will margin account be introduced?
A: Yes in the near future.
Q: How often is the iSPEED.my app updated?
A: Major updates twice a year.
Q: What sort of enhancements to iSPEED.my app?
A: iSPEED.my app in Japan more advanced with custom screens, custom indicators, etc.
Were you at the event? Share your feedback below.
Latest posts by MyPF
- 9 Financial Ratios and Rules of Thumb towards Financial Freedom - February 22, 2019
- Renting: The First Step Towards Home Ownership - February 14, 2019
- StashAway CIO Interview with MyPF - February 11, 2019