One of the best ways to learn and grow is through reading. A list of recommended books on personal finances, investing, business, life and growing.
Updated: March 18, 2019
- The Richest Man in Babylon – George S. Clason
A good easy read learning from stories and parables.
- I Will Teach You to be Rich – Ramit Sethi
Targeted for youths 30 below, a program to begin setting your finances in order.
- The Millionaire Next Door – Thomas J Stanley
Common traits that the wealthy have largely in common
- The Millionaire Mind – Thomas J Stanley
What do the millionaires think and do differently?
- Millionaires are from a Different Planet – Azizi Ali
A look at PF from a Malaysian perspective
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad – Robert Kiyosaki
Best selling PF book for all time (but some of his ‘facts’ are made up/untrue)
- The Barefoot Investor – Scott Pape
Good for youths from 20s to 30s with a relevant look at money management for youths.
- The Broke Millennial – Erin Lowry
Simple advice for youths to get out of the broke cycle.
- MONEY Master The Game – Tony Robbins
Discover the steps to financial freedom regardless of where you are in life.
- Unshakeable: The Financial Freedom Playbook – Tony Robbins
A step-by-step playbook to transform your financial life and accelerate your path to financial freedom. (Read review)
- Money Stories from Malaysians – Suraya Zainudin
Malaysians write fictional and non-fictional stories about life, money and the money lessons you can learn.
Investing / Trading
- The Intelligent Investor – Benjamin Graham
Investing like Warren Buffet’s mentor, Ben
- The Snowball – Warren Buffet
How Buffet builds a (financial) snowball into becoming the 2nd richest person in the world.
- Beating the Street – Peter Lynch
How the legendary manager of the Magellan fund achieved spectacular returns in over 2 decades of investing.
- The New Market Wizards: Conversations with America’s Top Traders – Jack D. Shwager)
How top traders, investors, and wizards make (lots of) money in the market in his/her own unique way.
- A Random Walk down Wall Street – Burton Malkiel
Stock analysis, index funds, ETFs, bubbles, investment cycles and more.
- Security Analysis – Benjamin Graham and David Dodd
Disciplined timeless investing lessons relevant today after being originally written 75 years ago!
- Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World – Liaquat Ahamed
A story of economic meltdown caused by the actions of a few.
- The Black Swan – Nassim Taleb
What are black swans? Unexpected events that have massive repercussions. How often does the unexpected occur?
- Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits – Phil Fisher
Written decades ago, but still a class investment must read book.
- The Worldly Philosophers – Robert Heilbroner
A history of the economics of our times.
- Battle for the Soul of Capitalism – John C Bogle
Vanguard’s founder and the good fight for the individual investors’ rights.
- The End of Alchemy – Mervyn King
Dangerous financial alchemy in today’s modern world.
- Irrational Exuberence – Robert J Shiller
Bubbles and how to avoid being caught in the eventual burst.
- Business Adventures: Twelve Classic Tales from the World of Wall Street – John Brooks
Stories, suspense, and drama from Wall Street.
- Where are the Customers Yachts? – Fred Schwed
A Wall Street kinda crazy.
- Choose Yourself – James Altucher
Being an entrepreneur and investment manager. Making and losing millions. What really matters.
- Good to Great – Jim Collins
To the next level in your organization in a sustainable manner
- Setting the Table – Danny Meyer
How to setup your own (challenging) restaurant business
- The Personal MBA – Josh Kaufman
Getting your Masters in BA at the price of a book
- Winning – Jack and Suzy Welch
Practices to grow and lead your organization
- Financial Intelligence for Entrepreneurs – Karen Berman and Joe Knight
What do your business numbers mean for your company?
- Emyth: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to do About It – Michael Gerber
Sift through myths and truths on starting your own small business.
- Built to Sell: Creating a Business that You Can Thrive Without You – John Warrilow
Build your business, and your exit plan.
- Rework – Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson
Breaking the rules to succeeding at your business and work.
- Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits – Greg Crabtree
Understand your numbers, grow your business, and avoid mistakes.
- Permission Marketing: Strangers into Friends and Customers – Seth Godin
How the mind and marketing works.
- The Tipping Point – Malcolm Goodwell
How small things can have a big impact in today’s modern world.
- The Ultimate Marketing Plan – Dan Kennedy
Skeptical customers, shrinking budgets, and social media.
- Guerrilla Marketing – Jay Conrad Levinson
Waging successful marketing campaigns on a small budget.
- The Power of Focus – Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen and Lew Hewitt
Habits to aiming and achieving when one is focused.
- The 4-Hour Workweek – Tim Ferriss
Firing your boss and yourself while increasing your time and money.
- What Color is your Parachute – Richard Nelson Bolles
Finding and living your passion in life (and when looking for a career chage).
- How to Win Friends and Influence People – Dale Carnegie
Classic golden book on communicating effectively and being likable.
- Mastering the Rockefeller Habits – Verne Harnish
Getting it right: People, Strategy, Execution, and Cash.
- Think and Grow Rich – Napoleon Hill
Luck got nothing to do with getting rich. To be rich you need to acquire different skills and cultivate certain habits.
- Check out your local public library (RM2 only for membership fees!) 😀
- Look out for book sales such as BookFest Malaysia or Big Bad Wolf (BBW) Books! Prices from below RM10.
- Top Five Personal Finance Books You Should Read
- Is the Unshakeable Playbook by Tony Robbins Worth It?