Is travel insurance necessary? What travel insurance should I get?
What is Travel Insurance
Travel insurance is optional coverage that covers common concurrences while traveling including flight delays, luggage loss, theft, accidents, and medical expenses. Different travel insurance providers will offer different coverage options with some of the most common benefits and exclusions listed below.
Travel Insurance Benefits
Provides medical coverage when travelling overseas which may be inadequate with your domestic medical coverage.
- Death and Permanent Disablement due to Accident
- Medical Expenses including surgical, hospital, emergency dental due to accident
- Hospitalization income
- Medication dispatch (when unavailable locally)
- Emergency medical evacuation and repatriation
- Deposit and trip cancellation
- Personal luggage and effects compensation
- Travel documents replacement reimbursement
- Luggage daily
- Travel delay
- Natural disaster at destination
- Missed departure due to public transport
- Missed travel connection compensation
- Travel carrier overbooking
- Hijacking and terrorism coverage
- Personal liability
- Personal money losses and credit card indemnity
- Home compensation for fire/burglary
Additional Optional Coverage
- Water sports: canoeing, kayaking, rowing, yachting, parasailing, surfing, windsurfing, jet skiing, scuba diving
- Winter sports: ice skating, snowboarding
- Others: Paintball, bungee, indoor climbing, hot air balloon, mountaineering, ATV
Travel Insurance Options
- Adult: Age 18-70
- Child: Age 30 days-17
- Senior Citizen: Age 71-80
- Family: Insured + Adult Legal Spouse + Children full time studying and residing in Home Territory
- Time limited (in days/weeks)
- Domestic (Malaysia)
Travel Insurance Tips
Malaysian travel insurance requirements
- Malaysian citizen or permanent resident
- Or holding a valid working permit
- Or dependents are residing in Malaysia
- Or foreign student in Malaysia
- All departures are from Malaysia and returning to Malaysia after trip
Be aware of exclusions.
- Existing conditions
- Delay or detention by customs or government authorities
- Hazardous sports unless covered by optional coverage
- HIV or AIDS related
- Radiation or nuclear contamination
- Pregnancy, childbirth, abortion or miscarriage
- War, riot or civil commotion
- Flight/sea/train crew
- Mine/oil rig workers
- Aerial photographers
- Explosives handlers
- Personnel of navy, military, air force, law enforcement or civil defense
- Remember to include your nominee info to make sure your beneficiary receives your insurance claim benefits in event that you pass away unexpectedly
Do You Need Travel Insurance
If you are traveling overseas it is wise to consider travel insurance. The cost of travel insurance is minimal compared to possible costs of up to $50,000 or more overseas if anything untoward happens.
You will also want to check in detail your domestic medical insurance and emergency repatriation, and any other travel insurance that you may have (i.e. credit card complimentary travel insurance) to ensure you’re sufficiently covered.
Compare different policy coverage options but do not go for just the cheapest one. Ensure that a copy of your insurance policies summary details are kept with a friend or family member.
Get a FREE Travel Insurance Quotation Today!
MyPF helps you compare travel insurance quotes from various insurance providers to give you the best choice for your travel insurance needs. Leave us a message below for a free quote where we compare different providers for the best option for you and your travel companions!