What investment returns should you expect with different investing goals, risks, and durations?
The Average Investor
The average investor over a medium-long term time frame and with proper investment planning can achieve returns above 8% compounding annually. However, less than half of people are actually invested in the stock market despite it being a recommended part of an individual’s portfolio (with properties being the other “must-have” recommendation). Consider that the average long-term market returns are as follows:-
- Bursa Malaysia: 8.9%
- US Markets (S&P 500): 9.8%
Note: Most people are closer to average than they think. You’re not as good as you think you are hotshot with your lucky streak. And you’re not going to fail forever even if you made some mistakes.
Key Questions to Consider in Investing
- What is your personal investment plan?
- What is your capital, and additional investment fund flow?
- What is your investment timeline/horizon and investment goal?
Investment Assets Consideration
|Private Pension Schemes||Low/Med||Long||6%|
|Gold and precious metals||Low/Med||Short/Med/Long||2%|
|Shares Trading||High/Very High||Short||25%|
Note: Risk, duration, and returns are somewhat subjective based on an average or most common approach.
- Private Pension Schemes
- Gold and precious metals
- Unit Trusts
What are your investment returns expectations?
Latest posts by MyPF
- MyPF Launching 2 New Online Shows - May 16, 2019
- Women in Finance - May 5, 2019
- What do Malaysians Ask About Financial Planning According to Google - April 30, 2019